Dir ist schon klar, dass ich nicht werde kommen können, oder?

English Translation

You do realise that I won’t be able to come, don’t you?

I’m confused about the word order here… I’d expect “…dass ich nicht kommen können werde” due to the subordinating conjunction “dass” pushing the modal verb to the end of the subordinate clause. What am I missing?

5 Likes

Both word orders are okay, yours is the more common one.
To me, the one here carries a little bit more emphasis.

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t realize that rule was optional.

1 Like

I have to admit, that I am not sure about the rules here.
If you want to be on the safe side, use your word order.

I suspect it is connected to the possibilty of omitting the “dass”.

Du weisst, das ich nicht kommen können werde.
Du weisst, dass ich nicht werde kommen können.
Du weisst, ich werde nicht kommen können.
Du weisst: Ich werde nicht kommen können.

Now let’s change the tense:

Du weisst, dass ich nicht kommen konnte.
Du weisst, dass ich nicht habe kommen können.
Da weisst, ich konnte nicht kommen. / ich habe nicht kommen können.

Anyone with an idea about the rules or a link to an explanation? Pitti, please help me out :thinking:

1 Like

This is about subordinate/relative clauses, where the rule is that the verb moves to the end:

Ich esse einen Hamburger. - Du weisst, dass ich einen Hamburger esse.

So far so good. If there are two verbs involved (modal and full), both move to the end. The modal verb becomes the one at the (normal) second position, and it moves to the very end, as usual, while the other verb ends up directly in front of that:
Ich muss einen Hambuger essen. - Du weisst, dass ich einen Hamburger essen muss.

If you put this in the future tense, this introduces yet another auxiliary verb, so there are three (auxiliary, modal, and full)! The auxiliary verb of the tense becomes the main verb in the second position that moves to the very end:
Ich werde einen Hamburger essen müssen. - Du weisst, dass ich einen Hamburger essen müssen werde.

Now there’s this weird word order:
Du weisst, dass ich einen Hamburger werde essen müssen.

This indeed sounds weird, even to me, but it is valid. But only in a subordinate clause and when there are three verbs can you move the auxiliary verb to the front of the verb cluster.
This works with any subordinate clause, not only relative clauses, and the clause does not need to start with “dass”:

Das ist der Hamburger, den ich essen müssen werde.
Das ist der Hamburger, den ich werde essen müssen.
Das ist die Stelle, an die ich das Buch legen müssen werde.
Das ist die Stelle, an die ich das Buch werde legen müssen.
Das ist der Grund, warum ich diesen Text nochmal korrigieren müssen werde.
Das ist der Grund, warum ich diesen Text nochmal werde korrigieren müssen.
Das ist der Zeitpunkt, an dem ich das nicht länger aushalten können werde.
Das ist der Zeitpunkt, an dem ich das nicht länger werde aushalten können.
Ich werde solange faulenzen können, bis ich meine Hausaufgaben machen müssen werde.
Ich werde solange faulenzen können, bis ich meine Hausaufgaben werde machen müssen.
Er hörte erst damit auf, als er es nicht länger ansehen müssen wollte.
Er hörte erst damit auf, als er es nicht länger wollte ansehen müssen.

It’s not easy to come up with examples that make sense, so these sound a bit contrived :sweat_smile:

When there are only two verbs, this does not work:
Du weisst, dass ich einen Hamburger werde essen. :no_entry_sign: (-> essen werde)
Es war nicht lustig, als ich einen Hamburger musste essen. :no_entry_sign: (-> essen musste)

8 Likes

Every time I think I’m starting to get a good handle on the German language, I discover a wonderful new exception that I have to learn! :slight_smile:

Thank you for this answer, this is very interesting to me. And it’s good to know about this wonky exception, even if I may never use it myself in actual conversations.

4 Likes