Diese Geräte scheinen keinen Nutzen zu haben.

This is translated “These gadgets seem to be of no use.” which, to me, evokes the connotation that “They are of no use to us right now / to some specific end, but they may have some other originally intended use.” whereas the German sentence seems to connote to me: “These gadgets are completely useless / have no use at all (to anyone).”

Am I misinterpreting the German, and the sentences have the same connotation and are a good / natural translation, or could the translation here be improved?

You are misinterpretating insofar as that ‘scheinen… zu haben’ is expressing a fair bit of uncertainty, much more than ‘haben keinen Nutzen’ would. But I wouldn’t go as far as saying what you said about the English translation about the german one as well.

1 Like

Hmm, I see how “scheinen” adds uncertainty. What I’m asking though, in English if you say: “These have no use.” it usually means that they are totally useless (in any context) whereas if you say: “These are of no use.” it is more likely to have a limited context, meaning: “These are not useful (to us right now in this context).”

Does “haben keinen Nutzen” come across more like “have no use” in English? Or is the connotation different?