Das Video ist der reinste Schrott!

English Translation

The video is a real lemon!

Why is this the translation? The german word for lemon is not in the sentence, and neither have I ever heard this phrase before. “This video is pure garbage” would make more sense to me, or something similar.

2 Likes

Yes, garbage, trash, junk.
I have also no idea where the lemon comes from.
Maybe it is one of those irritating examples where the translation was made via a third language, where the lemon made sense? Some experts here have access to Tatoeba and can look it up.

1 Like

Well, wiktionary says about lemon:

1. (slang) A defective or inadequate item or individual. quotations
    He didn’t realise until he’d paid for it that the car was a lemon.

Then there’s the saying “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade”.
And in German there’s the expression “mit Zitronen gehandelt”.

But I agree, using it like this is new to me.

1 Like

“Lemon” is slightly outdated English slang for junk, garbage, something that you don’t want. It’s usually used in reference to cars (“this junker is a real lemon!”) but can also be used more generally, and I believe is the source of the expression that pitti mentioned (“when life gives you lemons, make lemonade”).

It’s not terribly common in modern English, and I think a better translation here would be “that video is total garbage!”

1 Like

I appreciate someone came up with this translation and they’re probably doing unpaid work, but given English already has the expression that something is trash/garbage, it doesn’t feel necessary to reach for the phrase ‘lemon’ (which has a 33 y/o UK native speaker, I have never heard before, but I admit it may have just missed me).

2 Likes

Well, the sentences come from tatoeba.org, and after a little research I found out that the original sentence is a japanese one (そのビデオは全くの不良品だ。 - Beispielsatz Japanisch- Tatoeba), and the english is a translation thereof.
The japanese sentence used “不良品”, which my dictionary says means “inferior goods, defective product”. So I can kinda see why the english translator came up with “lemon”?
And the german sentence is a translation of the english one, and the best translation for “lemon” was simply “Schrott”.

2 Likes
English Translation

The video is a real lemon!

Oh, dear! I betray my extreme age because “lemon” was immediately understandable to me. think the sour expression one imagines tasting the raw lemon adds something different than ‘trash’ or ‘garbage,’ since a lemon makes perfectly good lemonade, and the movie was a movie, but didn’t realize its potential, rather than being simply worthless.

1 Like