Avreste fatto meglio ad andare.

English Translation

You had better go.

How is one to know whether this requires the plural or the singular 3rd person?

1 Like

Ciao @joecoolubu, welcome. I know, Cloze sometimes needs us to guess Singular or Plural but here my verb book tells me that “avreste fatto” is the past conditional tense. Not always an easy one to learn but well worth it.
Avrei fatto
Avresti fatto
Avrebbe fatto
Avremmo fatto
*Avreste fatto
Avrebbero fatto

4 Likes

Grazie Floria7, I’m new here starting yesterday. I believe the blank (the “cloze”) in this sentence was the conditional verb, and based on the English translation which only specified “you”, I chose the 2nd person singular form (avresti) and that was labelled wrong. I believe that with only the English as a guide, that either singular (avresti) or plural (avreste) could be correct. In this case, should I report that another alternate translation should be included, or what? I just want to be sure I’m using the site and its feedback capabilities correctly. Again, mille grazie for your help.

1 Like

I’m afraid that will only serve to overwhelm the CM staff, as there are so many similar cases. My suggestion is that you add a hint saying “voi”, so you’ll know next time. That’s what I do.

6 Likes

Ciao @morbrorper Totally agree, was going to say the same thing;-)

@joecoolubu You’ll soon get used to ClozeM, give it a day or two and it will all come clear. Happy learning!

4 Likes

Welcome @joecoolubu :smile:

In addition to the helpful suggestion by @morbrorper, there are also some hints that you can enable, for instance sometimes the width of the text box can help you identify which one is expected, or you can enable the spelling hints, where green will guide you towards the correct form. When reviewing in speaking mode, I just tend to say all possible forms one after another.

Hopefully you will get used to it in no time and find Clozemaster an enjoyable way to learn. Any questions about how to change the settings or other issues / tips / tricks, just ask! We are generally a friendly, helpful bunch here :wink:

5 Likes