Aspettate che cominci la partita.

English Translation

Wait for the game to start.

If che cominci here is the cogiuntivo presente and used as such in this sentence, I would love to know more about it. I need to know why la partita can not comincia here. In short, without the grammar lesson, there is little gain by putting the correct cloze word. ( In my view).

Not sure I agree with you there, CM isn’t a complete course in Italian, but it is one heck of a resource!

5 Likes

My question here was : where can I find a good explanation why in this sentence we have cominci and not comincia. Will gladly read the explanation in any resource the CM would provide. In fact, a little grammatical window would be greatly appreciated. It is probably my particular problem, but if I know one good rule and can apply it when putting a correct cloze word in a 100 of a 100 CM sentences I prefer it to agonizing guessing or endless repeating that makes little sense. I do like CM, that is why I am here, it is just not a full service yet. ( In my view).

I understand, but I think the point of CM is to offer cloze tests, not to be a grammar reference. Perhaps they will expand the service in time, but it might get very cluttered!

On the point in issue, like many of us I struggle to understand the subjunctive let alone explain it.

It is not a tense, but a mood - it adds nuance and subtlety to the meaning of a sentence and can even alter that meaning. It gives Italian shades of colour that, for all its flexibility, English cannot match.

Whereas the indicative mood is used for statements of fact and for events where there is a high degree of certainty, the subjunctive mood is used for those things that, though possible, are uncertain, doubtful, a matter of opinion or conjecture.

Here, the game hasn’t begun, so there is perhaps some uncertainty and a degree of conjecture as to what will happen. So as an England fan, I might say; You’re optimistic now, but wait for the match to start!

5 Likes

@David755502 Sono d’accordissimo! I tend to accessorise our excellent Cloze with a good grammar book. Works well for me.

A dopo…

5 Likes

The best course here I see is a good balance between the good grammar source and CM as a practice tool and a really big source of sentences to chomp on. I am trying to alternate between the two because I fall asleep fast on the grammar alone and get frustrated sometimes with the questions in CM if I have no clue how to answer them. Happy learning !

4 Likes

David! Back to che cominci and not comincia. Here, I admit it was not a-well-thought-out question. ( See how careful I am not use a more direct word? ) It is all in the book, just look at the conjugations it is all there. Also I just stumbled upon subjunctive, indicative and imperative in the grammar challenges in CM. I just tried a dozen and it looks exactly what I need. I will report back on how it went. I feel like I found a treasure chest!

2 Likes
English Translation

Wait for the game to start.

To cut to the chase - why il congiuntivo here? Is it because the game is a potential future event, not yet started? If so, it would seem every future event would need that tense - clearly not the case.

I admit to being caught on the Charybdis of il congiuntivo. I try, I try…

Perhaps it is the imperative? Aspettate (you) wait for the game to start! Just thinking out loud…

but “cominci” (congiuntivo)…?

My old grammar book says that the congiuntivo is used in subordinate clauses following commands.

See item 2 of the “Some Uses of the Subjunctive” section in the photograph -

4 Likes

Aha! That is exactly what I was looking for - thank you!

2 Likes

That’s true, but I don’t think this applies here; I think one could say “Aspetterò che cominci la partita”, the subjunctive being used because the
start of the game is a future event that may or may not happen.

1 Like

Under the number 3. first part in When and How to Use the SUBJUNCTIVE in Italian! – LearnAmo. I will need a to do a lot of learning there too. (There is a quiz at the end).

1 Like