30 sentence limit per day?

When I was not pro I could only do a very limited amount of sentences per day, just 30 and then it was over and I had to wait until the following day. But now I noticed in the leaderboard there are people with 50,000 to 80,000 points this week but they are not pro?? How are they able to do so much with this extreme limit…or was I doing something wrong?

2 Likes

It seems different people get different limitations for not being pro.
Before I paid, I had a 5 second delay after each sentence, but not a total limit per day.
Maybe it also makes a difference whether you create an account via web or via the mobile app.
I don’t know, but I have noticed this before.

1 Like

A 5 second delay after each sentence? That doesn’t seem much of a limitation compared with my 30 sentences a day. Although I fail to see how you can possibly get 80,000 points a week with any kind of limitation whatsoever. These people are literally in the top 10…there must be way more to it than that.

I even searched google about this 30 sentence limitation and couldn’t find anything. It seems I’m the only one that had it…

1 Like

I received an email saying that from 14th August the free option would only allow 30 sentences per day. So I had to go Pro…I hope I didn’t pay for nothing.

I used to do 50 new sentences a day when I was not “Pro”, but now, I have so many reviews that I do around 30 new sentences in a good day. But I am studying Japanese, and that slows me down a lot in my reading, compared to a European language.

However, there are other perks of the pro version that are decidedly worth it:

• Being able to add a comment to a sentence and getting answers is decidedly a big plus
  • The listening exercises are unlimited, and offer another useful way to exercise
  • There are more collections available, that are also valuable.

All in all, I don’t regret at all paying for a “lifetime” subscription.

As I like messing with languages, I will probably find another language to try out when I will grow out of Clozemaster for Japanese.

5 Likes

As Mike-Lima said, there are a lot of additional features for pros. But even leaving that aside, if you felt that you “had to” go Pro then you were clearly already getting something from the site, or you wouldn’t have bothered.

It’s sometimes forgotten that websites are businesses, not charities. They have costs to cover and employees to pay. If they can’t, then eventually, they aren’t there any more. It’s fine to offer freebie samplers to try to entice more paying customers in when they see the value on offer… the problem is when some people make a long term decision that they’re going to take the value but not pay for it. Not even the relatively paltry sum that CM asks for. When I first saw this thread I had no idea how people who had a 30 sentence per day limit were showing up in the top 10 of various language leader boards week in and week out. (As it turned out it was because some older accounts didn’t have that 30 sentence limit, but I didn’t know that at the time.)

It’s interesting to compare the leader boards of this week to those of last week. Last week in German and Italian between 2 and 4 of the top 10 were non-pro. This week; zero. I did a couple of questions in German yesterday around lunchtime and was in the mid 200s for the week on the leader board. Yesterday evening I did a few more to make my total for the day 31 questions (one above the non-Pro limit) and {boom}, I shot straight up to 56th. The point is, in one language alone, on one day, there were at least 200 people who were using server time, bandwidth and the skills of the developers… and not paying a cent for it. They were supported by a mere 50-something who were. (Obviously this isn’t a scientific example and actual numbers will vary by day and by language, but I doubt that the ratio is an outlier.)

Going pro? It doesn’t just get you a shedload of cool new features that will boost your options when it comes to language learning, but it also helps ensure that CM will be around for the long haul. IMHO, you can be certain that you haven’t wasted a single cent of your membership.

5 Likes

You won’t regret it.

4 Likes

I’ve had a ClozeMaster account for quite some time (doesn’t necessarily mean I used all that time) and I’ve never had any limits on the free account until recently (and I’ve been featured in the leaderboard quite a few times). I got the 30 sentence limit like two days ago and bought pro – I’ve been considering it anyway for a while, but I don’t care that much for most of the features (listening, speaking and longer texts seem cool, don’t get me wrong, but it wasn’t a priority), so it took that limit to push me to buy it. ClozeMaster is my main language learning tool (besides comprehensive input and journaling), so I think it’s a good investment overall (I’d buy it earlier if I didn’t have to be stingy with my money), I’m happy to support it.

4 Likes

Welcome! Good to read your honest and positive post. This is definitely my main learning tool too, and I also think it’s a great investment.

Happy learning @Somepony!

1 Like