New feature - Clozemaster Radio šŸŽ§

Oh this is so useful! Iā€™d accidentally discovered it on my phone before (I usually only use desktop), but had gone looking for it since, and couldnā€™t find it again. I was looking for a ā€œradioā€ tab at the bottom or in the upper right corner, I didnā€™t realise I had to go into ā€œPlayingā€ a collection, in order to be able to access it, so thanks for letting me rediscover it!

And so great that the custom ordering/adding/removing of the sentences, pauses and translations already has been implemented too!

One other feature that might be useful to some could be to allow editing of the speed with which the sentences are read out, if it would be at all possible?

Also, I just checked any I donā€™t have the radio available offline, not even for my downloaded collections, so this would apparently have to do with my device lacking TTS for my target language? Would anyone here know how I would go about sorting this out? The most useful time for me to use this amazing feature would be when not having internet access.

2 Likes

Alanf. TTS? Thanks for asking - helped me enormously :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m using Radio for the first time, since I need all the practice I can get at understanding Mandarin and want to avoid the mistake I made when learning French, when I let my reading comprehension way outstrip my aural comprehension and speaking ability.

Iā€™ve set up a collection of Duolingo sentences. Iā€™m able to play normal Listening rounds of that collection using the TTS voices on my Android phone. Radio comes up as an option, but when I try to play Radio, the sentences appear on the screen with stop, forward and back buttons, but no voices play. Is there something else I need to do to get it to work?

Since I couldnā€™t get that collection to play, I tried Radio for the HSK1 collection during an hour-long drive today and was thrilled to understand quite a bit of it! It was only ā€œI bought a book yesterdayā€ and the like, but it felt like a big step forward!

I really like the customisation options for Radio, but agree with @sindaco that it would also be great to be able to change the playback speed.

Thanks for this great feature, which will let me put my driving time to good use.

2 Likes

I guess perhaps itā€™s only available for non-custom collections at the moment? Since @Plovdiv mentioned the same:

Sadly I seem to have some sort of bug on my phone where I donā€™t have any TTS languages installed, except for English, and I canā€™t seem to download any others, even though it offers a ā€œdownloadā€ button - I can click it, but nothing happens :frowning: Iā€™ll have to look more into if thereā€™s another way I could go about installing them.

1 Like

Clozemaster Radio is a great feature! But I had to disable a few of the English voices that are virtually unintelligible to me, such as the Indian ones. :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s a feature request, (@mike): how about integrating Radio with Androidā€™s Digital Wellbeing feature, so that one can listen to Radio while falling asleep, having it turn off automatically after a preset interval?

Can you explain why in the Radio Settings do we have a list of all the available voices?

It is a list with checkboxes. I had to unchecked all the voiced I didnā€™t want. Shouldnā€™t it be a list with ā€œradioā€ inputs?

Other than that loving the feature. Using it for my fav words (which I use for what I consider difficult clozes)

I assume it might be mainly so you can familiarise yourself with listening to a number of different voices. If you are using a mobile device, these will mainly be all the TTS voices available on your device, which can indeed be quite a lot of them.

Yessss, I would love a SLEEP function!

Perfect for falling asleep but donā€™t want it to go on all night hehe