ChatGPT explain feature!

Can we get the explain feature on Galician from Spanish?

Thanks!

1 Like

Has the ChatGPT prompt changed recently?

It used to be great for Cantonese as it would list each character with the jyuyping next to it and then explain the meaning.

I’ve noticed recently it started missing the jyutping next to some of the characters. Now today the jyutping is gone entirely which makes it much harder for me to learn and recognize new characters as I don’t know how they are pronounced.

I guess this is one danger of using chatgpt. You don’t have full control over the output, but it was consistently following the format I mentioned previously for at least a month before it started breaking.

Previous helpful format:

character 1 (jyutping): explanation
character 2 (jyutping): explanation

Now:

character 1 (english): explanation
character 2 (english): explanation

This is redundant as the explanation already explains the character in English. Sometimes it also doesn’t even have the () and just has the character and explanation.

I also just saw a result which didn’t follow this format at all and just explained the sentence in a single paragraph without breaking it down by character/word.

I really appreciate this feature and I know it’s hard to get it right, but it’s disappointing that it was working so consistently well and suddenly isn’t.

That said, thank you for all your hard work in bring meaningful new features like this!

Maybe I just got unlucky and encountered a slew of poor results for a few days, but they seem to be back to the normal format now (although the poor explanations I did encounter are still cached). It would be nice if there was a way to report ChatGPT explanations so they can be regenerated or manually corrected.

On a different note, one feature which would be really helpful would be a way to get the etymology of a word/character. When I see a new word, I like to scroll down the wiktionary page to the etymology and also click on the different Chinese radicals which make up the characters to see what they mean. This aids retention, but is time consuming since I need to click and scroll multiple times for each character.

I tried using ChatGPT instead and it is much quicker as all the information is in one response. It is also more detailed than wiktionary.

The character 厭 (yàn in Mandarin) has an interesting etymology. It is composed of two parts:
厂 (chǎng) which means “cliff” or “cliffside” and often serves as a radical meaning “cliff” or “precipice”.
厌 (yàn) phonetically represents the sound of the character.
Originally, 厭 depicted a mouth or a cave (represented by 厂) with something inside it, indicating being “full” or “satisfied.” Over time, the meaning evolved to represent being “fed up” or “disgusted,” possibly due to the feeling of being overwhelmed or full.
The character 厭 is commonly used in modern Chinese to mean “to loathe” or “to be disgusted with,” reflecting its evolved meaning from its original representation.